Jacob

Jacob

Sunday, May 17, 2009

10 posts in 10 weeks

So, I feel like I owe it to in utero baby to begin the blogging process on his behalf. I've been a bad host this time around with not having a website/blog dedicated to this pregnancy. In an attempt to make up for this, I will blog weekly for the next 10 weeks about this pregnancy.

I am now 30 weeks. This week marks my last week of visiting the Ob/Gyn on a monthly basis. Yep, after my visit on Friday, I will be going bi-weekly for a month or so and then it will be on to weekly visits. I am truly amazed at how quickly the time has gone by.

This pregnancy has been different in many ways, but most particularly in how old I've felt. In the beginning, I was extremely tired and now, I fear, that fatigue is returning. I'm not usually one to nap, but I will sneak one in now any chance I get. So, that makes me feel old. Another difference is in how much this kid MOVES!! It's like this kid is moving more than he's not. Really. My understanding of fetal movement is that babies are usually lulled to sleep with movement, such as walking. Well, I walk all the freakin' time and I can feel this kid tumbling around as I do. It's crazy. And at night, my lord. If I wake up in the middle of the night to pee, I really have to weigh the relief I'll get from relieving myself versus waking up in utero baby and having him play ping-pong, or whatever he's doing in there, for the 20 minutes or so after I've peed. It's a true dilemma, that's for sure.

Of note, I've gained approximately 20lbs. Not bad, I guess. Average, I'd say. I sold all of my maternity clothes after I had Jacob, so I'm having to make do with over-sized shirts and a Bella Band. A Bella Band is an interesting apparatus. Here's how it works: you put on your favorite pair of jeans, leaving the button unbuttoned and the zipper unzipped. You then pull up the Bella Band over the jeans and up to your waist. It's an elastic band of material that covers the area of the button and zipper and, because it's elastic, it holds up your pants. So, you can continue to wear your jeans, shorts, slacks. Pretty neat, huh? The problem? Well, women bearing children are notorious for having to pee frequently and urgently. And, see, the Bella Band, by design, is tight and difficult to pull down (the point of it is to hold up your pants). So, when the urge to urinate hits, yeah, well, good luck with getting it and your pants down in a timely manner.

Brian and I are still struggling with names. Well, struggling isn't the correct word. We're really not even thinking about names. Really. I mean, the thought to think of a name only strikes me when someone asks if I've picked out a name. Naming this kid isn't even on my mind. Awful, huh? Ok, I take that back. I do have some that I've thrown around but that's about as far as it's gone. I guess it will come to us sooner or later.

We've not really brought up the idea of "brother" to Jacob. No real point in that right now. When it gets closer, I'll get some books and a baby doll and we'll work it in that way. It's going to be an adjustment for all of us, that's for sure.

We've got a big summer ahead of us, with all of the grandparents coming to stay for a period of time each month. Thank you all, again, for your willingness to spend bits of your summer in Arkansas. I'm sure for each of you that Arkansas is not your ideal vacation destination; we will try to make it worth your while.

Alright, that's my week 10 post. 10 down, 9 to go!

No comments: