Jacob

Jacob

Monday, June 9, 2008

We're going to Kansas City...

...Kansas City here we come!

So, my 30th birthday came and went without a hitch. Well, there was one hitch: TURNING 30!! Good Lord! Anyway, Brian surprised Jacob and me with a trip to Kansas City. I was a little nervous about my active and squirmy child riding in a car for 4+ hours. But he didn't seem to mind:


Actually, he minded quite a bit. I just didn't take pictures of those times. Too busy handing him toys, food and anything else to appease him. And he's already broken in this new car seat. Yep, already peed in it and everything.


Jacob insisted that Brian and I make a pit stop at McDonald's. He was adamant that Brian have a hot fudge Sundae. I think it's because he wanted a bite or two of ice cream. Then he wanted to sit outside a while and pat the picnic tables. He's into patting things nowadays.







Since he likes to pat things, I thought maybe he could grow up and be a baker and bake me some Oreos. I need to research baking schools and see if any specialize in Oreos.


We arrived in Kansas City and headed to one of my most favorite restaurant genres: bar-b-q. Brian was really looking forward to inhaling some famous KC meat. I was denied service, as it is "strict policy not to serve anyone over age 11 anything from the kids' menu." And since I don't eat meat, and the peanut butter and jelly sandwich on the kids' menu was my only option, I went without. In the 12+ years that I've been a vegetarian, I've never had this happen. I enjoyed my water and watching Brian woof down pulled flesh.


Anyway, on to the hotel. Brian booked us a room in a very swanky hotel in downtown KC. Unfortunately, the room didn't get dark enough in the evenings for Jacob to sleep soundly, so we dealt with a cranky infant all day Saturday. I was impressed, however, with how well he pitched in to help keep the room clean. Something about how he didn't feel that it was right to make the maids have to pick up after us. So, here he is helping to make the bed:


I tell you, if this kid is always this happy when it comes to cleaning up and keeping an orderly house, I will be in heaven!


We spent all day Saturday touring the amazing Farmer's Market (I'm such a sucker for plants, flowers and Oreos) and sightseeing.



Except for the all-vegetarian restaurant, we didn't fare very well at dinner times. We attempt to eat at a Mongolian grill Saturday night. I absolutely love Mongolian grills (and Oreos) and was so soooo excited about this prospect but Jacob had other plans for us. It turns out that napping off and on in the stroller throughout the day is no substitute for a solid 1 to 1 1/2 hr. nap in a dark room with a crib and white noise. So, by the time we arrived at the Mongolian grill, he was done. He let it be known that he was not going to sit in the high chair by screaming and not bending his knees. Sitting on my lap, he told me (and everyone else in the place), was not going to work either. What would work, he said, was for us to leave, go by Wendy's, order a salad and baked potato off of the 99 cents menu and have dinner in the hotel room. His arguments are very compelling and we decided that this was the best option.


Jacob slept better the 2nd night. Brian and I were awakened bright and early Sunday morning by little man and we decided that it'd be best if we headed home. Jacob slept the majority of the way which really helped to recharge my patience.


I've decided that when Jacob's older, I'm going to insist that he apologize for his behavior at the Mongolian restaurant and explain to him that he can right this wrong with some good 'ol Oreos. After all, they are mine (and milk's) favorite cookie!

No comments: