Jacob

Jacob

Monday, November 24, 2008

I do not heart the end of Daylight Savings Time

It seems as though the end of Daylight Savings Time has not been good to me this year. In years past, I welcomed the return of standard time much like a 5th grader welcomes summer. Since I wasn't engaged in many night-time activities, the end to the long days made me know longer feel like a loser. No, see, it got dark out earlier and so you're supposed to be inside sitting with your dog and parents watching America's Funniest Videos. When it's 8 p.m. and the sun is still beaming like it's 3 p.m. and you're doing the aforementioned activity with the aforementioned people and you're 13, you're a loser.

Fast forward to now: America's Funniest Videos is no longer hosted by Bob Saget and they now call it AFV (very new millennium). I am 30-years-old, been married for 6 years, have a 15-month-old son, an 11-year-old mutt for a dog and a cat that's freakier than anybody I know. I enjoy watching the Office with my husband once night falls. And now, when it's darker sooner, I don't feel like we should be outside doing something cool; it's ok to be sitting on my butt watching T.V.
But life has a funny way of sticking it to you. It seems that with the return of standard time comes a royal messing-with-my-son's-inner-clock. Where once he was getting up at 7:45, now he awakens anywhere between 5:45 and 6:15. We've tried everything: reinstating a pacifier (I even hate to admit this, but desperate times, people), letting him cry, making him a toy box full of non-noise making toys that I put in his crib once I hear his first peep. Everything! Nothing works. We've put him to bed later, earlier--nothing. We've postponed dinner, thinking that he might be getting up early due to hunger. Nope.

So, now I find myself yearning for Daylight Savings Time. Funny, huh? I realize that I'd take a little sleeping in over feeling like a dork from 7 to 10 p.m. Maybe Dolly has some ideas on some very cool activities that we can engage in once the Savings Time returns...chase Roomba, climb into the dishwasher, push his cart around, turn the water on and off in the tub, play in the toilet....you know, stuff that the cool kids do. Goodbye, AFV! Hello, toilet water! I am, however, not going to engage in the activity pictured below, no matter how much I am exposed to son-pressure.
I am simply not cool enough.

1 comment:

Sarah. said...

Girl, I feel your pain. Alex's internal clock has been equally affected by the time change. For the first few weeks, he was getting up at 6 on the dot instead of 7 on the dot, and I was cursing that stupid time change every morning as I trudged through the dark to his room. It seemed that his schedule would never go back to usual, and I tried changing his bedtime, with no luck.

However, I am pleased to announce that he has gradually worked his way back to sleeping until 7, and while I used to pray that he'd stay down until 8, sleeping until 7 is much more appreciated than it used to be. Point is, hang in there. I'm sure Jacob's schedule will adjust...eventually.